Monday 16 November 2009

Why Do I Even Bother, Sarge?


So the most anticipated first person shooter of the year, has been out for a week. and I really couldn't care. This is because I SUCK at FPS's, well, I'm OK if it has a story mode, but I never play then on any difficulty higher than easiest. What I am really bad at is online games, I have never been good at them, and due to the fact that everyone is better, I never live long enough to get any better, my average kills per match is around 4, whereas I get killed at least 15 times a match. Also, there is never any "good" sniping spot, which is where I excel, having some out-of-game experience with them.
Anyway, so you may have guessed that I've given this game a miss, and you'd be right. But my brother picked up a copy the other day, so I'd thought I'd give it a go. And to be honest, the story mode is great, much that we've come to expect from the CoD series. It follows 5 years after the events of Modern Warfare 1, with Soap having been promoted to Captain and the Russians have kicked up a fuss about the death of Imran Zakhaev (the Russian Dude with one arm, 'case you forgot). As before, you play as multiple characters throughout the game, fighting as the USA's Rangers and CIA and Britain's SAS 141 squad. 
The selection of weapons at you disposal is as always massive, with something for everyone's taste. The environments range from Russian tundra, to the slums of Brazil. 
MW2 newest feature is Special Ops, which has 23 short missions for you to complete, ranging from killing waves of enemies, or a racing against the clock on a snowmobile. 
And finally, my least favourite bit of the game, the online mode. New maps, new perks, new attachments for your guns, and the cool new "Callsigns" which allow you to display an banner and an icon whenever you kill, get killed or complete an objective. The banners and icons are preset and you unlock then by completing hidden tasks, such as kill someone as they are cooking a grenade. 
It is a great game, and I recommend it to everyone, but... if you aren't confident at FPS games, stay away from online mode, you'll just get frustrated.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Counter